I am glad I have a chance to get you all up to date. I flew into California last Monday and we got right to work so it was a bit hard to write an e-mail. We left Utah at around 5:30 AM and our flight left at about 8:00 AM. We landed in Oakland, California and met the President of his mission, his daughter, and his assistance as we arrived at the baggage claim. We had a sack lunch and then took about an hour and a half drive to the mission home in Santa Rosa. We watched a slide show of the mission and then were assigned a temporary companion, which we were to go knock doors and talk to people on the street with.
Mines was named Elder McCoig, he is from Texas and was only a few days from finishing his two years of service. He's a husky guy and has a sense of humor and can wear a smile. So we worked for about two hours and while we had little to no success it was an interesting experience. We came back to the President's home and were able to relax with some pizza and Oreo ice cream pie.
The next day (Tuesday, November 9th) is when I met my actual companion and knew what area I would be in, which I will be with for six weeks at the very least. My companion is named Elder Millet -- the youngest of eight children and he has 16 nieces and nephews. He is from Arizona and has been out here for a little under 18 months. He is a nice guy and is teaching me a lot and I try to teach him all that I know. For instance, as we were shopping today I saw natural kosher Muenster cheese allbeit for around $5. He asked "What's kosher cheese" in which I had to explain. Haha! Well he helped to realize that I maybe didn't need the kosher cheese especially since we are given a budget to work with. I ended up buying another brand for about $3; things are really expensive here. Regardless, I think that I have everything I need for the next couple weeks and I believe Michael sent me an e-mail where he said he would deposit 15% of his check into my account so that I can eat and live well. He's so kind!
Speaking of e-mails, I seen quiet a few which I am thankful for. I don't know if I will be able to read and reply to them all since I have about 40 minutes left and I have to pay my loan and would like to also send a few pictures of what I have seen and done within the last four weeks. If you are anyone knows how to put them on the blog you're more than welcome to. Also, I should get any mail that is sent to the address I wrote in my hand written note. However, for faster delivery, anyone could write me at:
Elder Anthony Gallegos
9707 Fairway Drive
Kelseyville, CA 95451
It's a very rural place and we were teaching some girls and I could hear sheep baaah and chicken sounds within feet from us. I was also lucky to be part of a baptism just a couple days from coming into the area. A girl named Angelica Lopez committed to be baptized. Her father, Jose or Chuey (sp?) as he prefers; her sister, Savonna; and her mom Lily are already members. Her dad was able to baptize her and the family felt good all around about the whole thing. Her story about how she decided to be baptized is an interesting one and may take a bit of time to write.
Again, I write you freely, which takes a bit of time. I hope to fully have something written out by next week so that I can relay more in a shorter amount of time. The people who are receptive to our lessons are pretty nice here. There is an 82-year-old lady named Dotty Watts and she's just the sweetest person. She's going through a lot health wise, but she still can make light of everything. We are also teaching a guy named Rich Scroggins. He knows in his heart that the things we are teaching him are true, but he says that something is holding him back. I pray for him as he's a great guy and has a unique sense of humor. He reminds me of a mix between Michael and Brother Torsok (back at the Hollywood church). We are going to teach him tomorrow.
I am doing well health wise and the members here are pretty humble and helpful. We have had a dinner appointment just about every day thus far. We also have plans for Thanksgiving so no worries. I am going to send a separate e-mail now with a few pictures that you may all be able to share. I might send them in as many e-mails as I can since the size may be a bit large. They may range from sights around the Utah temple, a Korean missionary that I grew to love while in the MTC, my classmates and I around the MTC, and my current companion with Elder McCoig and I.
I hope that you all are doing well. I think about you all constantly. Know that I love you all and wish you the very best. Until next time!
Sincerely,
Elder Anthony Gallegos
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
No comments:
Post a Comment